Peloton offers thousands of live classes where you can observe your instructor’s movements, but can Peloton instructors see you?
The short answer is no. However, we will give you a comprehensive explanation of what Peloton instructors see during their classes. So let’s check!
Can Peloton Instructors See You?
Peloton instructors can’t see you during the class. They use a leaderboard to monitor their class attendance instead.
What are Peloton live classes?
The phrases “live classes” make you think you can interact directly with everyone in your class via the internet. However, it still depends on how the classes work.
Peloton live classes are real-time classes. So, you can give a shoutout or give a high-five during your training session.
When the classes end, they will turn to on-demand lessons and remain in the Peloton library. Then, you can join them to keep up with what you miss.
The word “live” implies that you and your instructors can work out simultaneously. However, you can only interact by using high-five and shoutout symbols or making a video call.
What is the camera used for during live classes?
If you join cycling and running classes, you will use Peloton products like the bike or treadmill. These devices have a camera. Yet, they don’t intend to work for the instructors to see your face while practicing.
So, what can you use the camera for during your live classes? This feature helps you practice with your friends if they attend the same class as you. You can tap on your partner’s name and make a video call on the screen.
What Do The Peloton Instructors See During a Class?
Peloton instructors can’t see you, so what do they see on their screen?
Exercising on Peloton products allows you to keep track of your performance. When Peloton instructors use them for training you, they can also see their metrics. Those figures include:
- Cadence: Peloton measures your cadence in RPMs, which refers to how fast you pedal.
- Resistance: The resistance, measured as a percentage, indicates the difficulty level. You can change the resistance manually by rotating the resistance knob on your bike.
- Output: Our output refers to how much power you use at a particular time and is measured in Watts. You can improve your output by increasing your resistance and cadence.
- Total Output: This feature illustrates how much work you’ve put in your whole workout session. Peloton measures this value in KJ (kilojoules).
Time left in the class
Not all Peloton classes have the same class length. It depends on the type of exercise and how the instructor plans their lessons.
To distribute the time evenly and effectively for each exercise, Peloton lets instructors monitor the class length. Hence, they can keep their lessons on track.
The leaderboard on your Peloton screen displays all the values above. It also lists the class attendants on the screen’s right side.
If you want to contact your friends, you can search for their names in that list and choose to make a video call with them. The camera allows you to do it. You will figure out how this feature works in the following sections.
Peloton Camera Benefits
Peloton Bike, Bike+, Tread, and Tread+ come with a camera. This camera has advanced features that enable you to:
- Take photos.
- Make video chats with your friends and Peloton followers.
- Request for chatting with your instructors.
- Accept calls from your cell phone (if connected).
- Contact the Peloton support team for help.
Peloton Camera Specifications
All Peloton products feature a camera, but they don’t work the same. Here are each’s camera specifications:
- Bike: 5-megapixel front‑facing camera.
- Bike+: 8-megapixel front‑facing camera with privacy cover.
- Tread: 8-megapixel front-facing camera with privacy cover.
- Tread+: 4-megapixel front‑facing camera.
How Do I Know If My Peloton Camera is On?
You can check the activity of your camera by looking at the light. If the camera is working, the light must be on.
Peloton helps protect your privacy by allowing you to turn off the camera to block the view. You can slide it to enable the camera to work.
Privacy Concerns With The Peloton Camera
Aside from the camera slider (mentioned in the previous part), Peloton also helps with your privacy by showing a request message when somebody is calling you. You can refuse the call if you don’t want everyone to access you.
Peloton cameras do an excellent job of connecting users. They often come with many features. If you want to learn more about them, check our guide on how to use the Peloton camera for details.
Peloton instructors can’t see you during your training session. However, they can still help by motivating and guiding you to the right fitness path.
Some people appreciate that nobody can look at them while working out. Then, they have more privacy.
Invite your friend to the class if you need someone to see and practice with you. You two will have an excellent experience and encouragement thanks to this feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Peloton followers see my weight on the app?
Weight, like weight, is an optional field used to precisely calculate your calories burned after a training session. If you set your profile in a private state, other Peloton members can’t see it. This info isn’t available on the leaderboard either.
2. What’s the purpose of a camera on Peloton?
The camera on Peloton is built for making video chats and taking photos. You can use it to connect to your friend when necessary.
3. How do I turn off my Peloton camera?
To instantly turn the camera off, exit the setup mode. If you aren’t going to be using the camera any longer, don’t forget to put the cap on.
4. What can I do if my Peloton camera is not working?
There are three reasons why your camera isn’t not working. We will suggest a solution for each:
- You haven’t enabled the camera: Access “Profile Menu” -> “Profile Settings” -> “Social Tab” -> “Enable Video Chat.”
- The privacy cover is blocking your camera: Remove the cover for the camera to record the scene.
- Poor WiFi connection: Unplug your router and wait for one minute to plug it.