Indoor exercising is more and more popular because of the busy pace of modern life and environmental pollution.
Having an exercise bicycle at home is an efficient way for one individual or a family to work out with less transporting time and more privacy.
But you still haven’t chosen the suitable one for some reason, right?
It’s probably because of your back issues, the limited space in your house, or you’re afraid the humming noise from your bike will make other people frustrated.
Don’t worry, I’ve compiled 16 best exercise bikes based on different needs and purposes. Read on!
- Top 10 Best Mountain Bike Tires Reviews In 2020
- Which is The Best Bicycle for Kids In 2020?
- Top 10 Best Hybrid Bikes Under 500 Reviews In 2020
- Top 18 Best BMX Bikes Reviews In 2020
Top 16 Best Exercise Bikes Reviews In 2020
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709
Known for its in-depth knowledge of exercising and excellent innovative products, Marcy has created the best exercise bike for a home that won’t sacrifice your precious floor space.
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709, is one of the most compact models that will help you easily shed some excess body weights and fit the smallest exercise space.
It also has some similar fitness features which are commonly seen on bigger and more expensive exercise bikes.
Such as the well-padded seat for support and comfort, the computer screen which can be easier to read the number of burnt calories, time, other indicators.., and 8 levels of resistance.
I also appreciate its pedals. They are counterbalanced weighted pedals including foot straps to secure your feet in a precise position.
In short, if you’re looking for a space-saving exercise bike packed with multiple functions to help you not only burn calories and lose weight but also increase your body’s cardiovascular endurance, look no further than the ME-709 magnetic recumbent exercise bike.
- Compact to capably fit into small spaces
- Multi-functional: Can help you lose weight and increase your body’s cardiovascular endurance
- Easy to use: computer screen display, adjustable resistance, and counterbalanced weighted pedals
- Furthermore, some users with short legs report not being able to reach the pedals fully.
- Lack of heart pulse sensors
ProGear 100S Exercise Bike/Indoor Training Cycle
The ProGear 100S is exactly what to have for people who don’t have time to bicycle around or the neighborhood conditions aren’t ideal for that.
In the market, it’s arguably one of the best exercise bikes for weight loss.
The unit is actually a chain-drive exercise bike so it simulates perfectly the regular road bicycle motion to give you similar cardiovascular fitness workout.
Or, you can adjust the tension to make the workout more challenging and progressive if wanted. It’s easily adjustable and there are two-speed settings to choose from.
Now, the super-star feature of this ProGear, which is also my most favorite, is the added heart pulse sensors. I know that many people love tracking their heart rate while exercising (me, too!) and this can afford that.
The way it works is you hold the handlebars by both hands and this indicator will be presented on the LCD screen. Very easy, huh?
There are also 4 ways of adjustment for the seat to ensure it can fit different heights – generally within 5 feet 1 inch to 6 feet 2 inches. And the seat itself is well-cushioned with ergonomic design, very comfortable and supportive.
- Can help to track your heart rate while exercising
- The seat fits better to different height without feeling backward or inconvenience
- Added many functional features, like the water bottle holder for hydration or wheels for easier transportation
- Lower weight capacity than the Marcy – only 250 pounds
- A bit noisy when bicycling
Exerpeutic Gold Foldable Upright Bike
The Exerpeutic Gold is specifically designed for heavy exercisers to lose weight.
Compared to its previous sibling – the Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike, this is crafted from 20% more steel materials. So no strange when it delivers a higher maximum loading weight, which is 400 pounds.
But what shocks me the most is its lightness. Only 51.6 pounds.
And the best thing is, it can be folded to half the size, which is 26.4 inches L X 24.8 inches W X 57.5 inches H, to fit into any small storage space. Plus, there are two transportation wheels to help you move the machine around more easily.
As designed for big and heavy guys, the seat of this exercise bike is expanded hugely with a very comfy cushion and easy adjustment. It, in fact, will give good fitting to people within 5 feet 1 inch to 6 feet 5 inch high.
All-in-all, it’s the best exercise bike under $200 for heavy and tall guys.
- Can handle excellently 400 pounds of loading weight with an expanded seat for comfort yet sturdiness to exercise on
- The foldable design cuts the total dimensions to half for easier storing when not in use
- Lightweight – only 51.6 pounds and there are 2 transportation wheels to be highly maneuverable
- The LCD screen only displays one metric at a time, which is frustrating if you want to track more than one data stream
- Even in good light, it’s a bit struggling to read the indicators displayed on the screen
- The pedals are not directly underneath the machine.
Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike with 40 LB Chromed Flywheel
Built as a standard at-home exercise bike, Sunny Health & Fitness Pro is one of the best exercise bikes under $300 that delivers all of the necessities that any indoor fitness enthusiasts can wish for.
Out of the box, it is quite heavy compared to other counterparts but the best thing about this is its unbeatable durability and quality when riding on.
The heavy-duty steel crank and frame give a solid feel, especially when leveraging the tension so no matter your fitness goals, rest the heart that it can afford like a breeze.
While offering an adjustable 4-way seat, I’m glad that its handlebars can do that, too. It comes in 2 ways of adjustment to help you find the most comfortable riding position during long rides. Besides, there is padded and slip-free material added for extra comfort, grips, and safety.
The heavier the flywheel, the smoother the riding experience. And it’s true with this Sunny Health & Fitness. It is a 40-pound chrome flywheel to retain preeminent momentum smoothly while also supporting the consistency, stability, and speed during your workout.
- You can’t beat this Sunny Health & Fitness in terms of durability and sturdiness over other counterparts
- Give a smooth riding experience with stability, consistency, and speed
- Allow you to find the comfiest handling position to endure long rides
- Prevent jerks and wobbling efficiently while riding
- Not built with an LCD screen
- A bit lower in weight capacity
Schwinn M717 170 Upright Exercise Bike
Schwinn M717 is the best exercise bike under $500 with many wonderful functions to talk about.
Start with the LCD screen! This is a backlit DualTrack model with an emphasis on a high resolution to let you read all data no matter the lighting conditions.
The most worth-mentioning thing is its 29 exercise programs integrated to help you track the progress better. They include 4 user profiles, 12 profile and 9 heart-rate programs, and 10 resistance quick keys.
I personally like its built-in speakers and MP3 + USB input the most because hardly can I work out without some dynamic songs to listen to. And with these additional features, it feels no different than you’re exercising in the gym room.
Another functional feature is an adjustable 3-speed fan to keep you cool while doing the workout.
- The readable and easy-to-use LCD screen in different lighting conditions
- Provide multiple programs to choose from
- Allow you to listen to music while doing a workout
- A 3-speed fan for cooling
- The handle rests aren’t padded like other counterparts
Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Upright Exercise Bike
If you want an intense, full-body cardio workout, Schwinn AD6 Airdyne is the best value exercise bike.
Aside from the progressive air resistance for infinite levels of challenge, it provides pivoting handlebars to exercise your upper body. In general, this exercise bike is a sweet combination of intense training, safety, and convenience.
It’s one of the rarely quietest units that I have tested.
By featuring a single-stage belt drive, you can rest assured to exercise on this at any time without disturbing other members on the house. Schwinn is also so thoughtful enough that they particularly design the fan to be frictionless and ultra-silent in case you want some cool air.
For safety, as you can see that the entire BioSynch linkage system is well-shrouded and there are also windscreen as well as Airdyne AD6 Reading Rack available.
I also appreciate the added RevMeter RPM gauge, which makes it ideal for interval training.
Besides, the included high-quality foot straps to keep your feet in a precise position, hence, maintaining the right motion control.
- The added RevMeter RPM gauge allows for interval training
- The entire unit is well-shrouded for ultimate safety while riding
- Built with additional pivoting handlebars and adjustable resistance for a full-body workout
- Don’t allow for an upright sitting position as the AD3/4, which is a bit less comfortable
- A bit hard to read in low-light conditions
510ic Indoor Cycle Magnetic Trainer
For those who can and want to invest in a high-end exercise bike, I highly recommend 510ic Indoor Cycle Magnetic Trainer (it’s also the best exercise bike under $1000 out there that you can get).
It’s constructed from a heavy-duty steel frame that won’t easily bend or flex like other lightweight models. The unit also offers 32-pound flywheels with 16-level resistance adjustments and the latest technology applications to let you choose from 4 heart rate options and 12 different workout programs.
Like Sunny Health & Fitness Pro, the handlebars of this exercise bike are adjustable for various hand positions. But it’s superior when added with the soft foam covering for extra comfort, especially during long and tension rides.
What I found really convenient about this unit is the button to set the resistance levels, instead of turning knobs. So now, you don’t have to step off the unit just for such adjustments at all, simply push the button and choose the setting you want.
If you prefer some technical information, the 510ic has been rated as the “Best Buy” 5 years in a row by the leading Consumer Magazine due to its feature-rich construction.
- Run quietly
- Easy to read the high-contrast LCD screen
- Allow you to choose from multiple settings and programs to fit your workout goals
- You just need to press the button to adjust the resistance levels instead of working on the turning knobs like other counterparts -> more convenient
- Heavy and expensive
- Hard for storing
Nautilus Recumbent Bike
Exercising is never fun like this with the Nautilus Recumbent Bike.
Thanks to the enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, it allows you to install, track, and manage your progress with many well-known app-based tracking tools. Such as UA Record, MyFitnessPal, Explore the World, and more.
The three biggest advantages you can benefit from these online apps are first, the ability to capture global courses or share your personal records.
Secondly, synchronizing data with these apps helps you track your heart rate, time, burnt calories, pace, speed, and distance. Besides, the unit will be automatically adjustable to your speed to move at your own pace.
Finally, with a monthly upgrade of new destinations, it gives you plenty of course lengths to choose from and follow.
I really love the seat rest of this exercise bike. It combining with the pedals and an adjustable seat to create a comfortable and reasonable riding experience so you can focus on practicing your lower body parts in the most optimal way.
- Provide well-padded seat with breathable back for comfort sitting gesture with good air-flowing to save your back from sweat
- Allow you to connect to multiple tracking apps with various course lengths and new destinations
- You can share results through the connected global courses
- It’s a fixed and heavy exercise bike -> hard for transportation or storing
Ultrasport F-Bike and F-Rider
The construction of Ultrasport F-Bike and F-Rider is quite similar to the Exerpeutic Gold above, which is foldable in half the size for convenient storing.
But making it outstanding is the higher-solution LCD screen where you can track numerous indicators at a time. For example, pulse, distance, speed, burnt calories, scan, and time.
Besides, this works more quietly than its competitors so you can rest assured to complete the training sessions at any time. All you need to do before step through it and start the workout is adjusting its seat height for the comfiest riding position.
The exercise bike is specifically designed to deliver gentle endurance training – featuring 8 two-way ball bearings and 8 resistance levels – so I would say it’s a perfect choice for beginners.
It’s also considered one of the best exercise bikes for seniors.
Plus, there are hand pulse sensors positioned on each of the handlebars to let you keep tracking your heart rate during the workout.
- Deliver gentle endurance training to ideally suit for beginner exercisers
- Run quietly so you can complete the training courses at any time without disturbing other people in the house
- The saddle is not very comfortable during long rides
Sportneer Bike Trainer Stand Steel Bicycle Exercise
Bike trainer stands – it would be the life-saver for many budget-minded workout enthusiasts who already have a road bike and don’t want to spend much on another in-door exercise bicycle.
Out of many options in the market, I found this was the exercise bikes for the money.
It’s made by Sportneer – a well-known manufacturer in the fitness equipment industry whose products are served for multiple people, from novice exercisers to the pro. And this is one of their best sellers within 3 recent years.
The biggest selling point of this product is its noise reduction resistance wheel.
By lowering the humming sound caused by the spinning rear wheel, it saves you from whirring the house down during the workout, especially if you’re living with disgruntled neighbors or pets.
Not to say that the integrated resistance wheel with a smooth riding experience will help to lengthen your road bike’s lifespan hugely. The stand is also easier to install and it comes in a smaller package in a lighter weight to save some extra shipping bucks for you.
- It’s ideal for people who already have a road bike but the bad weather conditions, laziness, or rough neighborhood roads stop them from riding outside
- Work silently to not disturb other peoples or pets
- Lightweight, easy to install, and flexible
- Won’t give you additional conveniences like an LCD screen to track time, distance, heart rate, and so on
- You can’t adjust the resistance levels like that in other exercise bikes
Schwinn Upright Bike
I would say in terms of comfortable seat and program setting options, this upright exercise bike version is inferior to the previous Schwinn M717 170.
However, with 20 levels of resistance, well-padded contoured seat with an adjustable post, and adjustable angle, padded handlebars, it’s enough for a regular workout. And particularly, the low price point is perfect for people who are at a tight budget.
At under $350, you’ve got a sturdy yet smooth and functional exercise bike constructed with a durable steel frame, a well-shrouded system for safety in addition to 2 levelers.
These additions keep your bike from making noise and run more smoothly so if you’re living in an apartment with relatively poor soundproofing, this is the best bet.
- More affordable than the Schwinn M717 170
- 2 levelers help to lower the noise during the workout as well as avoid scratching your house floor
- The gaps on cowling are too large for short guys
- The included wrench in the package is poor quality
Marcy Exercise Upright Fan Bike for Cardio Training and Workout
The Marcy gives you a golden chance to try a premium upright fan bike at more affordable price.
What impressed me the most is its superior durability which normally can be founded in premium models. Aside from the heavy-duty steel frame, it features a 14 gauge steel tubing with scratch-resistant, power-coated finishing.
Another emphasis is its resistance system which instead of using a heavy flywheel as commonly seen in other exercise bikes, it is a fan of leveraged resistance.
The faster the pedaling, the more endurance you’d get and meanwhile, the more cool-air released.
It’s not exaggerating to say that this new design is like a stone killing two birds at a time – giving you more functions while weighing lesser.
I also like the high-tech LCD monitor of this unit which works no different than an odometer to show you different numbers at a time. Such as burnt calories, distance, speed, and time. At the price of under $300, this addition is like a favor.
- Using a resistance fan instead of heavy flywheel for extra convenience without compromising the weight
- Secure the bike in place better to let you exercise more stably in any terrains
- Offer a 2-year warranty
- A bit confusing when setting the time for the first time
- The saddle isn’t adjusted to incline
Schwinn Airdyne Bike
Next up, we’ve got the Schwinn Airdyne, which is a fan-resistance single-stage belt-drive exercise bike. But superior to other similar counterparts in the market, it highlights a custom-designed fan with an innovative 26-blade design and a Class A watts rating.
The biggest strength of this new design is high accuracy when responding to your power.
If you don’t know, most fan-resistance exercise bikes out there are constructed from the dual-power transferring system which transfers your energy from one chain to the next. As a result, power is prone to loss.
With this, when under 50 RPM, it’s Airdyne Pro measurement will be +/- 5W so it delivers better results and boosts you to pedal harder.
The quiet running mechanism is another big bonus. It gives no jerky movements or constant loud noise to subject you or other people.
- Respond precisely to your energy to avoid losing power while boosting you to work out harder
- Run smoothly and quietly
- Very heavy
- Hard to store or transport it
EXERPEUTIC 1110 300SR Foldable Recumbent Bike
This exercise bike still exhibits the signature feature of Exerpeutic products – foldable construction, but it has come with a new outlook.
It doesn’t feature upright riding gesture anymore, instead is the quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system with the handlebars lowering down at the rider’s hip level.
With this new design, you’ll have to lean backwards a little bit for pedaling, which is a more optimal way for people who want to exercise only their lower body parts. Or, if you’re suffering some slight back issues, it’s also a good choice to not put your spine on fire after long rides.
The design is also easy to step through or off like a breeze and many customers satisfied with its comfortable backrest as well.
Regardless, it’s still a solid yet convenient unit with a large, easy-to-read LCD screen, a heavy flywheel for smooth movements, and an 8-level tension control system.
The last bonus is its adjustable desks which can be utilized as a desk bike.
- Very comfortable well-padded backrest and seat for ultimate comfort and support
- There are some adjustable desks that you can use as a desk bike
- Not suitable big guys
Exerpeutic ExerWorK 1000 Fully Adjustable Desk Folding Exercise Bike with Pulse
Have you ever wished to have a multifunctional desk table where you can both work and take some exercise for the lower body at a time?
When I saw this model, felt like it was made for me – There’s an adjustable desktop added. With it, you’ve got 5 height options within 41” to 45” and 3 angle settings (0, 16, and 33 degrees) so that you can lean forward, backward or move up and down which is suitable for your exercising gestures.
The best thing is the space for a desktop doesn’t compromise the space for an LCD computer screen where you can check your process. And of course, there are comfortable armrests.
To top up all the goodies, this bike is foldable, featuring just 21.3″ L x 25.5″ W when folded to fit in the smallest storage spaces.
- Include a desktop
- Can be adjusted to sitting or standing exercising positions and the desktop is adjustable, too
- Feature folding design for more compact storing capability
- The LCD screen doesn’t have backlit, it’s hard to read in low-light conditions
- Not easy to move around or assemble
- The bearings need regular lubrication
Sunny Health & Fitness 49 Lb Chromed Flywheel
This Sunny Health & Fitness is a stationary bike that simulates the comfortable riding gesture of mountain bicycles but way more intense to help you burn more calories.
It’s another good choice for bad backs who still want to take heavy cardio cardiovascular endurance.
Talking about the construction, this model is relatively heavy-duty and sturdy with highlights on a 49-pound flywheel and adjustable resistance system. In comparison, it delivers unbeatable smooth-riding movements and realistic feeling.
Although this is an indoor exercise bike, there’s still a smooth push-down brake-equipped to deliver instant stop for emergencies. Something that other budget-friendly counterparts usually skip.
Regardless, it gives you 2-way adjustable handlebars, 4-way seat adjustments, and a bottle holder for extra convenience and comfort during the rides.
Overall, this is my highest recommendation as to the best exercise bike for cyclists.
- Provide instant brakes for emergencies
- Feature 49-pound flywheel for smooth driving experience
- No LCD screen
The Ultimate Guide To Choosing Best Exercise Bikes In 2020
There are two main types of exercise bikes on the market – the upright and the recumbent. To find out the most suitable type for you, it’s essential to know their differences as well as the pros and cons of each one.
The following table will help you with that:
Your Fitness Goals
To choose the best exercise bikes, determining your fitness goals is essential.
By understanding the signature characteristics as well as the strengths and weaknesses of two bike types, you’ll find out the right one more easily.
According to the previous table, I would say:
For injury recovery and low-impact workouts
The recumbent bikes are the best option.
Regardless, you should opt for a model with a larger, adjustable seat with high weight capacity, good warranties, and good options of exercise programs. No squeaks or creaks.
If the rider is an elderly, ensure it features supportive handles and an easy-to-step-through construction.
For gym training
Both recumbent and upright bikes offer the same effects in training so the type isn’t a matter here. What you should consider is a bike that has:
- A high weight capacity
- Fully adjustable handlebar positions and seat post
- Brake for instant stops
- Larger wheel sizes or heavy flywheels for a smoother riding experience
For weight loss
To get your body in shape, upright bikes are an ideal choice.
If you want to optimize the results, aside from taking a harder training course, pay attention to the bike that you’re going to choose. It should feature:
- Good electromagnetic resistance
- A good range of exercise programs
- Heart rate sensors to let you track your physical status
- A comfortable seat
What Is The Best Type Of Exercise Bike?
For indoor exercising, upright and recumbent bikes are the two best types.
Which Type Of Exercise Bike Is Best For Weight Loss?
Actually, both types of bike – the recumbent and the upright – deliver the same high burnt calories and weight loss.
It’s just that the harder the workout you take, the better the results.
Is Riding A Stationary Bike Bad For Knees?
No, it isn’t.
The stationary bikes are conversely the best exercise bikes for bad knees, known as a good aerobic workout to let you get a better fit without stressing your knee joints.
Is Cycling Better Than The Gym?
According to many reputable types of research and studies, outdoor exercising helps people to release stress and tension better than those exercising indoors. In other words, it improves your mental health better.
How Much Time Should You Spend On An Exercise Bike?
Averagely 45 to 60 minutes
What Kind Of Exercise Bike Is Best For A Bad Back?
Recumbent exercise bikes are considered as the best bet for a bad back to exercise because of its naturally inclined riding gesture which puts little to none impact on your back, spine, neck, and joints.
At the end of the day, you’re the one who will be riding the bike.
So whether you are going to benefit from it depends on how much time and effort to invest in at now.
I hope this ultimate guide has dropped you more or less informative knowledge to help you simplify the process and find out the best exercise bike for yourself.
Thanks for reading!