Hey, I know how much you love your bikes and like to bring them along your road trip. Plus, you’ve already own a Jeep and hope to find a rack that’s compatible. To help you make an informed decision as to which bike rack to purchase, I shall provide you with a list of the best Jeep Wrangler bike rack reviews below. So…what are you waiting for? Read on!
Jeep Wrangler cars stand out for having their spare tire attached visibly onto its back. All the racks below are specially designed in order to best accommodate that so that you don’t have to worry much about strapping your bike with ropes.
- Top 20 Best Bike Cell Phone Holders and Mounts in 2020
- Top 19 Best Bike Trailers For Kids Reviews In 2020
- Top 11 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Reviews In 2020
- Top 11 Best Cruiser Bikes Reviews In 2020
Top 11 Best Bike Rack For Jeep Wrangler Reviews In 2020
Thule 963Pro Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
This rack attaches onto the spare tire at the back regardless of size – small or over-sized tires. The circular plate is put right next to the tire, whereas the plastic knob is used to adjust how securely you would like the attachment to be.
Hanging perpendicular to the main frame, arms are sway-resistant. The reinforcement involves cages that hold bikes in place, as well as provide safe distance between bikes, and between the bike and the tire. The cradles have 4 cables with two holding one bike by the frame and further stabilized by knobs. When not in use, the arms can be folded neatly.
- Bike rack attaches onto the spare tire and can just be left there
- Cradles on either arms of the rack are stay-put and equipped with anti-sway cages to hold the bikes firmly
- The plate is fairly thick therefore the bolts may not go all the way into the tire and not able to secure it tightly
- Rear camera can get obscured by the plate and therefore you have to rely on other measures while reversing.
Allen Sports 2-Bike Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
This patented design from Allen Sports is famed world-wide. The arms are tilted slightly upwards to protect your bikes from exhaust pipes and of course the road.
The rack attaches onto the spare tire using upper feet that bend along the contour of the tire enabling it to sit there stably. The arms are of model 302DN and quite narrow to facilitate easy bike loading. They are further equipped with tie-down system with two for each bike – each sitting on either arm.
Below the metal frame has a wide bottom with two legs anchoring onto two sides of the tire (and not the rim which may get damaged). This helps accommodate even large tires; added to which are the ‘Sure Straps’ that extend downwards to connect to the bottom of the car. They help keeping the bikes fixed while you drive.
Last but not least, its price is quite reasonable especially when we consider the quality it offers.
- Both of rack arms are narrow and allow for easy folding and unfolding
- It can easily support 2 bikes with each reaching a maximum load of 70 pounds
- This model does not fit on any type of trailer, and the new Jeep Wrangler JL model
- It does not come in fully assembled and you will need to assemble it yourself
- The locking mechanism of the buckle and strap may damage the paint of your car.
Hollywood SR1 2-Bike Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
Known for its unique look, Hollywood SR1 rack is as sturdy as it looks. The metal frame fits nicely onto the spare tire, with reinforcement via one horizontal bar hanging at about the top 1/3 of the tire. In addition, there are two side bars connecting to the back of the tire – which are connected by a strap that runs along the bottom perimeter of the tire. Overall these features culminate in an extremely secure bike rack.
The two support arms hang perpendicular to the metal frame and can be folded when not in use. Sitting on them are two tie-down systems with one sitting on either arm. You can fasten your bike as tightly as possible to minimize movements of the bikes while you drive.
- The shipment comes in fully assembly. You can save about 30 minutes!
- Could still fully operate with hatch-back cars and those with rear cameras
The rack system can support spare tires measuring as wide as 12”
- Rusted with time and prolonged use
- Not very secure tie-down system for bikes on rack
- The load capacity is low. This can be especially worrying if you own a rather heavy bike.
Yakima Sparetime Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
Despite its insignificant size – when folded, some may not even notice it’s there unless they look closely, Yakima Sparetime bike rack is both multi-functional and long-lasting. The rack is made of durable steel and further coated with powder to avoid scratches or dents.
The Sparetime is very easy to install – you can just attach the main frame directly onto the spare tire’s mounting bolts. Then you fasten it using a knob. The end result is an extremely secure fit.
At the top, there are two arms that when extended hang perpendicular to the main frame. One those arms, there are anti-sway cradles that when fastened help hold the bike firmly via its frame. At the ends of these arms are two integrated bottle-openers – which I am certain most of you will find handy.
A special bonus for those who fear their bikes may get stolen, Yakima provide an SKS-lockable. SKS stands for same key system and with just one key you can securely unlock all of your Yakima products. All of the features above show how thoughtful Yakima is towards their customers!
- Included in the shipment is a 60” locking cable that ensures the best protection on the road
- Thanks to its special design, bike-to-bike contact is minimized
- The straps are made of rubber and therefore are gentle on the bike’s paint
- Famed for its durability, the powder-coated steel frame is made to last
- The mounting openings are a bit narrow and therefore it may get difficult to load the second bike.
Hollywood Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
Looking fairly similar to the Hollywood SR1 model, Hollywood Bolt-On rack attaches itself directly onto the mounting bolts of the spare tire instead via a universal plate. This plate ensures fitting of most bolt types. The attachment is further secured by a knob that can be tightened by hand.
The rack includes three extension brackets that allow the rack to fit even the large tires – measuring up to 12”.
At the top are two support arms that hang perpendicular to the metal frame – added to which are two tie-down systems holding the bike frame securely by its frame. These arms are adjustable and can be folded when not in use.
- The rack features a universal plate that goes well with most types of bolt of many different spare tires
- Rack design is simple and therefore you will have no trouble installing it yourself
- There is minimal rust even after prolonged period of use
- Tie-downs are made from very strong rubber. They hold the bikes firmly over time
- Will not fit the 2018 Jeep Wrangler
- If holding 2 bikes, the rack will make it difficult to open the back door. You may need a bit of help from a friend or family member.
- The rack is not strong enough to hold electric bikes.
Yakima SpareRide 2 Bike Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
With a highly distinctive look and premium quality, Yakima rarely fails to satisfy their customers. Another rack belonging to this brand is the SpareRide with some unique features.
The rack is made from steel and hence highly durable and sturdy.
The name derives its meaning from the fact that it attaches itself onto the rear-mounted spare tire and turns that tire into a bike rack. It is incredibly easy to install – you only need to attach it onto the spare tire using the universal plate and then fasten the attachment with a knob that can be altered manually. The stand sits vertically along the diameter of the tire. At either end of its back are two TireTread Pads that add stability and protection – minimizing the chances of the stand sliding or making contact with the spare tire.
The head is equipped with two support arms hanging at a 90 degree angle. These arms hold SuperCush Zipstrip cradles that not only hold the bikes securely but also allow effortless loading and unloading of the bikes. These cradles can also be removed from the arms when not needed.
At the ends of the arms are the two integrated bottle openers as well as SKS locks – which all Yakima regulars are fairly familiar with.
- SKS lock system helps protect your bike from being stolen
- SuperCush cradles for you to load or unload the bikes. You can avoid causing even minor damage like scratches with them
- The rack is designed to be of universal fit. It would fit on any type or size of bikes
- It does not work for too heavy load – for example bikes weighing about 70 pounds.
Smittybilt 76713 Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
Moving onto a different type of bike rack altogether, the Smittybilt 76713 belongs to the roof rack category – alluding to its being attached onto the top of the vehicle instead of the spare tire. This heavy-duty model caters for cargo as heavy as 700 pounds so in addition to bikes, you can bring other accessories.
The model is known for its sturdiness – being made of steel tubing coated with powder and further reinforced by brackets measuring 3/16” –1/4”. There are three crossbars hanging across the main frame that can be removed easily.
- Roof track is heavy-duty and can hold loads as heavy as 700 pounds
- Crossbars can be easily removed allowing for smooth loading and unloading
- The shipment arrives not fully installed. And it may be a bit hard to install yourself – especially if you are a beginner
- Arms cannot be folded and hence may take up much space after removal
- Crossbars may be a bit too thick for your liking.
Trail FX J029T Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
Another roof rack that‘s worth mentioning is that of the Trail FX J029T model. Designed to maximize toughness, the main frame is made of heavy-duty wall tubing measuring 2” x 0.12”. In addition, there are 1/4” thick brackets sitting around the bottom of the car to help mount the frame more securely. The whole structure attaches firmly onto the Jeep and is more or less akin to a stable armor.
All parts of the rack are E-coated and then coated again with powder to minimize rust over the years. Last but not least, despite its tough look the rack only weighs 5 pounds making it easy to mount and unmount.
- Full rack is able to withstand not just your bike but extra accessories – especially if you are going for a road trip with many people
- It is fairly straightforward to install and the whole process normally takes about 1 hour
- It works especially well on JKU 2014 model
- As there is not a wind deflector mechanism, there will be loud wind noise as you drive.
EAG Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
This roof rack comes with an integrated basket that helps hold cargo more securely on top. The rack contains 2 layers with the roof line being attached to car top via brackets, whereas the second-level roof rack is kept close in order to minimize added height. The brackets help fix the rack onto the top via bolts eradicating the need to drill any holes.
At the front of the basket is an air dam that acts as a wind deflector. Much thought has been put into this design that helps boost aerodynamics and reduce noise. The mechanism employed is that air is guided around and over the cargo instead of coming straight through it and therefore lessening the drag force. As a result, you get to save much fuel.
- The rack matches nicely with the 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door model
- A wind deflector is installed at the front to minimize wind noises
- There is no need for drilling or extra modifications done on the vehicle – which would save you much time and work
- The tubes are made from 11/2” round steel and hence can carry even a 300-pound load
- It is quite difficult to install especially when the bolt holes are not well aligned
- You can see some rust on the surface even from the moment you unbox.
Mopar TSPRO963 Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
Coming back to the spare tire model, next on the list is the Mopar TSPRO963. This model is simple and operates in a similar fashion to other bolt-on types mentioned above.
The main frame attaches onto the spare tire via an adapter plate hung horizontally in the middle of the tire. This plate can be locked and unlocked, and can be fastened via a knob.
The two arms are perpendicular to the frame and connect on one end forming a loop, whereas on the other end they contain two sets of tie-down systems.
- There is minimal space between the rack and your spare tire. This helps avoid collisions with other vehicles while driving
- It is quite rust-resistant even after prolonged use
- It is compatible with 1997 – 2016 Jeep models
- You cannot purchase an extender to hold extra bikes
- There are many small parts making it hard to fully install.
Smittybilt 76717 Jeep Wrangler Bike Rack
Another Smittybilt that made the list is the Smittybilt 76717. Akin to the other model, this bike rack has a 4-point mounting system with one point affixing to the front door mount and the other to the rear frame (the same repeats for the other side).
There are 4 crossbars that can be mounted and unmounted easily whether your Jeep has a soft or hard top.
As expected of the Smittybilt brand, this rack is as sturdy as it looks and can hold cargo as heavy as 300 pounds.
- The design is modular and hence very easy to install – even if you are at beginner level
- The rack has 4 mounting points and can support cargo as heavy as 300 pounds
- Crossbars can be removed with ease and therefore you can load soft or hard cargo at your will
- Absence of wind deflector creates noise issues
- Rust may appear with time after use.
The Ultimate Guide To Choosing Best Bike Rack For Jeep Wrangler In 2020
Having gone through the list above, you may find it a daunting task to figure out which one you should purchase, best suit your needs.
First thing first, you need to know the model of your Jeep. Different bike racks are compatible with different Jeep cars. I therefore provide you valuable information in the form of a table.
Secondly, I shall summarize the main types of bike rack you will have a better idea. There are 2 of them:
- Roof rack: the one that goes on top of the vehicle
- Spare tire rack: the one that attaches itself onto the spare tire – visible at the back of your Jeep
Another thing to consider is weight capacity.
You must know how much weight the carrier can withstand. Some bike rack models can support only 30 pounds, whereas others can hold even 70 pounds. With roof racks, you expect them to load even 300 to 700 pounds. I have summarized the main load capacities and put them into a table as of below.
Last but not least is your Jeep wheel size.
This applies to spare-tire mounted racks. Before you purchase this rack, you need to know the dimension of your spare tire. As a general rule, tires measuring from 12.5” to 15” fit most bike racks. For racks that work via a mounting plate and a bolt-on mechanism, you don’t need to worry much about the wheel size as they are compatible with all tires regardless of sizes.