Cycling can start from a young age, and it should be so. Children should get familiar with the bike as soon as possible since biking is good for their development and their health essentially. However, they cannot ride an adult bike – not they.
20-inch bikes are the best choice for children since they are smaller than adult bikes and are usually equipped with support features for learning. So today, let go with me to see The Top 15 Best 20 Inch Bikes that you should consider for your children!
Age Range For 20 Inch Bikes
Everyone knows that 20-inch bikes are for children, but it is not one-for-all. These bikes are suitable for young riders whose heights are in the range of 42 inches to 52 inches.
Therefore, the equivalent age range for 20-inch bikes is kids from 6 to 10 years old. Nevertheless, little children of 5 years old or older ones of 7 years old may still be able to ride these bikes.
Most Viewed Posts:
- Top 14 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Reviews In 2021
- Top 12 Best Hybrid Bikes Under $500 Reviews In 2021
- Top 19 Best Cruiser Bikes Reviews In 2021
Should I Get A Single-Speed Bike Or A Geared Bike?
Single-speed bikes or geared bikes have their own pros and cons, but having a single-speed one will be better for young riders.
Single-speed bikes are simpler, relying on one sole mechanism to operate, so riding and controlling this type of bike are more suitable for kids and beginners. Furthermore, since they have fewer parts and components, the price is also lower.
Meanwhile, geared bikes have complicated gears and many components, allowing the riders to change the bike speed to adapt to different types of surfaces. So these bikes are good for frequent riders or pro cyclists who want to challenge various types of terrains.
What Are The Best 20 Inch Bikes To Buy?
It’s hard to tell which are the best 20-inch bikes to buy because not all people have tried them all. So, I would like to give you a shortlist of all the best choice I have experienced ever
- Best Overall: Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Boys)
“Durable steel frame, easy to ride on, long warranty time, good braking system.”
- Best For Boys: RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Boys)
“Designed for you, strong and durable construction, better balance and control with the tires and handlebar.”
- Best For Girls: Schwinn Elm Girls Bike
“Cute look, good accessories, good for learning cycling, especially bike geometry.”
- Best For Kids: Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike
“Comfortable bike saddle, easy to ride on, six speeds, good for all-terrain riding.”
- Best With Handbrake: Tony Hawk Jargon BMX Bike
“Handbrake and coaster brake included, good gearing, efficient bike geometry.”
- Best For 9 Year Old: Mongoose Legion Freestyle Sidewalk BMX Bike
“Unisex model, good gears and components, a durable frame, good looking design.”
- Best For Beginners: Huffy BMX Pegs Bikes
“Good for bike riding learning, easy to control and balance, training wheels included.”
- Best Budget: Schwinn Koen Boys Bike
“BMX type, reasonably priced, training wheels included, good bike geometry.”
- Best Cheap Price: RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Girls)
“Affordable model, wide tires for better stability and smoothness, non-slipping pedal.”
- Best With Gear: Guardian Kids Bikes Ethos
“Heavy-duty gear, easy to ride on, for all riding style, lightweight bike frame.”
- Best With Training Wheels: Raleigh Bikes Jazzi Kids Bike
“Good for short riders, training wheels included, coaster brakes good for stopping.”
- Best With Coaster Brakes: Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Girls)
“Coaster brake included, lightweight steel frame, eye-catching design.”
- Best For 10 Year Old Boy: Razor BMX/Freestyle Bike
“Gender-neutral choice, handbrake included, BMX bike type.”
“BMX bike, good for beginners, good handlebar design.”
“BMX bike, single-speed, easy to ride on, training wheel included.”
Best 20 Inch Bikes Comparison Chart 2021
In case you are still unsure about which one is the best for you, you can check out this comparison chart of the best 20 inch bikes in 2021. This chart includes a bit more information to help you make the decision easier:
|Best 20 Inch Bikes||Frame||Speed|
|Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Boys) - Best Overall||1||Steel|
|RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Boys) - Best For Boys||1||Steel|
|Schwinn Elm Girls Bike - Best For Girls||1||Steel|
|Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike - Best For Kids||6||Steel|
|Tony Hawk Jargon BMX Bike - Best With Handbrake||1||Steel|
|Mongoose Legion Freestyle Sidewalk BMX Bike - Best For 9 Year Old||1||Steel|
|Huffy BMX Pegs Bikes - Best For Beginners||1||Steel|
|Schwinn Koen Boys Bike - Best Budget||1||Steel|
|RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Girls) - Best Cheap Price||1||Steel|
|Guardian Kids Bikes Ethos - Best With Gear||6||Steel|
|Raleigh Bikes Jazzi Kids Bike - Best With Training Wheels||1||Aluminum|
|Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Girls) - Best With Coaster Brakes||1||Steel|
|Razor BMX/Freestyle Bike - Best For 10 Year Old Boy||1 Steel||Steel|
|Hiland 20'' BMX Freestyle Bike||N/A||Steel|
|Pacific Kids Vortax Bike||1||Steel|
Top 15 Best 20 Inch Bikes To Buy 2021
Now, you need to focus right here because I will reveal all my thoughts and experience on the top 15 best 20 inch bikes 2021. Let’s find out the best one for you!
Best Overall: Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Boys)
- Aerodynamic geometry for easier riding on all terrains
- Sturdy steel frame last for a long time
- Padded handlebar for better control
- Vibrant and sleek paint color
- Adjustable seat post and saddle to fit the riders most
- Coaster brake included so it can stop at ease
- For boys only
The best 20-inch bike that my kids have ever ridden on is this Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Boys). This one suits all the energetic boys whole want to ride anywhere – on the pavement, the street, or race to the hill.
The rugged steel bike frame is the star of this model; it is lightweight and well designed, so the kids can comfortably ride on it for a long time. Moreover, the handlebar of this kid bike is padded to help the small palms get tighter grips, so the youngsters can control the bike better.
Furthermore, this model features a coaster brake, so riders just need to reverse the pedal to stop the bike, which requires less effort and strength to end the ride. Another thing that I like about this is the adjustable seat post and saddle; they are the best for the growing day-by-day young riders.
- 20″ Bicycle.
- Black BMX Frame.
- Black Saddle.
- Black Grips.
- Black Tires.
- Coaster Brake.
Best For Boys: RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Boys)
- A kickstand and dual hand brake included for easy stopping
- Straightforward design allows the best efficiency
- Easy assembling with included tools and instructions
- Wider tires for better balance and grip on the road
- Soft saddle to protect the young riders
- Non-slip resin pedal to avoid accidents
- For boys only
If your boys want to take on cycling as a hobby, the RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Boys) is a good start. Focusing on comfort and safety, this is truly a good bike for early riders.
The pedal is non-slip, so even for beginners, slipping off while cycling will not happen. Moreover, the seat is soft and adjustable; no harsh force will get onto the young delicate bodies of kids. This one is available in many other sizes, but the 20-inch model is for kids from 7 to 9 years old.
I quite like the fact that this is almost assembled when delivered to my house, so I just need to put a few things in, and it’s ready to go – nothing complicated, and the instructions are well-described too. This one has a rear coaster brake and handbrake; it’s good for teaching the kids how to use both of them.
|Dimensions||56 x 29 x 6.5 inches|
- 95% Of The Bike Is Assembled
- Training Wheels (Only For 12/14/16 Inch)
- Kickstand (Only For 16/18/20 Inch)
- Anti-Slip Resin Pedal
- Adjustable Height & Angle
Best For Girls: Schwinn Elm Girls 20 Inch Bikes
- Cute and colorful design attracts girls
- It can be attached with training wheels to help with the practice
- It has caliper and coaster brakes to stop the bike effectively
- Adjustable seat post to accommodates different riders
- The front basket included carrying small stuff
- Bike geometry made especially for child anatomy
- For girls only
Next is the best candidate for the girl bike, the Schwinn Elm Girls Bike. Young ladies are fond of this bike because of its cute and vibrant design and the smoothness and comfort when riding on it.
This is a kid bike made for the early riders, so the design, the frame, and components are specially made to cater to the immature body; it fits perfectly with the alignment of the children’s arms and legs. The saddle is soft and adjustable, so you can change it to suit the kids.
Furthermore, I like that this one has both a hand brake and a coaster brake, so the kids can learn both ways of stopping the bike. The small front basket looks cute, and it can carry small things like a water bottle to help with the girl rides.
|Dimensions||34 x 18 x 8 inches|
- Designed For Children 6 Years Old And Up
- Rear Coaster Brake
- Adjustable Saddle, Seat Post, And Slack Seat-Tube Angle
- Narrower Pedal Positions
Best For Kids: Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike
- 6-speed shifter to ride on any terrain
- High-quality gears to help conquer difficult rides
- Comfortable and durable saddle to lessen the soreness when riding
- Highly sophisticated bike geometry for the most enjoyable experience
- Not suitable for beginners and small kids
I can say for sure about the Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike that it is excellent. The bike geometry is simply suitable for the kids; it is elaborated to help prevent all the tiredness and injuries potential from the ride, protecting the rider while offering exciting performance.
Although it is a kid bike, this one is made with indexed Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur and other heavy-duty gears and components, allowing it to reach different speeds. You can use this one to climb uphill or go for a ride on a rocky path; it would prove to be the best.
Moreover, the handlebar is specially designed to be slightly rising, so it causes less strain on the back and shoulders. Another thing is the seat; it is well padded and hugs the body comfortably to reduce the feeling of soreness after a ride.
|Dimensions||46.46 x 8.86 x 22.05 inches|
- Mountain Bar Handle
- Shimano TZ-31 Rear Derailleur
- 20″ X 1.95″ ATB Tires
- ATB-Type Resin Pedals
Best With Handbrake: Tony Hawk Jargon BMX Bike
- Efficient handbrakes can stop the bike at once
- Well-designed geometry good for top speed and acceleration
- 48 spoke wheels with front, and rear peg helps to improve the performance
- BMX bikes good for children wanting to try out different types of bikes
- It may not be suitable for small kids.
The Tony Hawk Jargon BMX Bike is one of the BMX kid bikes that have good overall performance. It is lightweight, nimble, and fast-paced, allowing the early riders to enjoy cycling to the fullest.
This one is equipped with front and rear caliper brakes and has ergonomic grips on the handlebar to help to stop the bike better. Moreover, all the parts can be customized, so if something does not meet your expectations, you can simply replace it.
|Dimensions||58.25 x 25.19 x 38.6 inches|
- Front and rear caliper brakes
- Front and rear pegs
- 48 spoke wheels
Best For 9 Year Old: Mongoose Legion Freestyle Sidewalk BMX Bike
- Cool-looking and strong design easy to ride on
- Straightforward bike good for beginners
- High-quality gearing to improve the performance
- It may not be suitable for too young riders.
If you want to invest a bit more in your kid’s bike, the Mongoose Legion Freestyle Sidewalk BMX Bike is my recommendation. Often associated with a boy bike, this model actually can fit well for girl riders too.
The most prominent feature of this bike is its gearing and design. The simple and practical design helps the young riders to learn to cycle faster and easier. For the gearing, all are carefully equipped to produce the best result.
|Dimensions||48 x 21 x 8 inches|
- Premium Mongoose Hi-Ten Steel BMX Frame And Fork
- 40x16T Gearing
- Cast Aluminum Mag Wheels
- Mongoose Hi-Ten 7.75” Handlebars
Best For Beginners: Huffy BMX Pegs Bikes
- Reasonably priced with good performance
- Unisex models that are good for both genders
- Adjustable saddle and seat post to fit the rider’s height better
- Guaranteed lightweight steel frame requires less effort to ride on
- Various choices of colors to suit the kid’s taste
- Rear coaster brake easy to use and stop the bike
- No hand brake included
The Huffy BMX Pegs Bikes is the one to go for anyone searching for a versatile and beginner-level choice. This one has a wide range of colorful designs to choose from, so your kids can pick one of their favorite colors.
This bike is utterly simple, so it suits the small kids who are learning bike riding. The frame is straight and sturdy, so the balance will be good. Furthermore, this bike has a long warranty time, ensuring the quality of the bike.
The rear coaster brakes are easier to use and often the first method of bike stopping that one may learn. Moreover, you can attach the training wheels to this model if necessary.
- Front And Rear Hand Brakes Provide Dual Stopping Power
- Pro-Inspired Front And Rear Pegs
- Padded Seat And Chain Guard
Best Budget: Schwinn Koen Boys Bike
- Kid-intended design to suit young riders better
- Including training wheels to support the beginners
- High-quality tires good for cycling on a flat surface
- It has a lightweight BMX frame for better performance
- You need to assemble the parts together.
This bike is quite affordable, and its quality exceeds my expectation. The Schwinn Koen Boys Bike is easily one of the best kid BMX bikes in the ranges with its useful components and features.
What I like the most about this one is its geometry – everything is for young riders. The lightweight steel frame is more forward, with the pedal position narrower, so the kids would easily control this bike.
Moreover, you can choose to attach the training wheels if your children are not familiar yet with BMX bike riding. Although you will need to put all the parts together to ride these bikes, the steps are simple to follow and would not take much time and effort anyway.
|Dimensions||35 x 17.3 x 7.5 inches|
- Schwinn’s Smartstart Technology
- Rear Coaster Brake
- Adjustable Saddle, Seat Post, And Slack Seat-Tube Angle
- Training Wheels Included
Best Cheap Price: RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Girls)
- Reasonably priced while having good quality
- Compatible with a wide range of accessories to improve the riding quality
- Wider tires for smoother and less shocking rides
- Non-slipping pedal to minimize accidents
- Training wheels included for beginners
- For girls only
In case you don’t have much money to spend on kid bikes or don’t want to invest much in something eventually your kids will grow out of it, you can choose this RoyalBaby Kids Bike (Girls). Though this one is in the girl department, your boys can choose the boy line of the same model to ride on.
This sweet pink kid bike has so many things to talk about, from the bells to the front bracket, all aiming to help the ride more comfortable. The saddles are designed in a unique shape, hugging the bottom part and protect it from any other forces.
This one has both caliper and coaster brakes, so you can stop the bike in whichever way you want. I also like the detachable training wheels included in the package; they are helpful for cycling beginners.
|Dimensions||43.5 x 24 x 7 inches|
- Full Chain Guard.
- Anti-Slip Resin Pedal
- Easy To Put Together
- Training Wheels Included
Best With Gear: Guardian Kids Bikes Ethos
- High-quality brake lever for fast and secure stopping
- Six speeds to accommodate all types of riding
- Traction tires to rides on different surfaces smoothly
- Lightweight steel frame suitable for kid bike riding
- Gender-neutral models that can be used for both boys and girls
- Quite complicated gears may not be suitable for smaller kids.
For children who are a bit older and want to try out adult bikes, this Guardian Kids Bikes Ethos may give them a go. Equipped with a six-speed shifter, this geared bike can be used on any terrain without any difficulty.
Kids may need to learn how to shift the gear a few times, but once they acquired it, the ride would be fun. Moreover, since this bike is unisex-oriented, boys and girls can find comfort when riding it.
This one features sure stop technology, allowing fast and safe braking without any shock or impact on the bike and the riders. Another good point of this one is the bike frame – sturdy and lightweight, will last for a long time without getting scratched or bent.
- One Brake Lever
- Professional Setup
- Kid Specific Geometry
Best With Training Wheels: Guardian Kids Bikes Ethos
- Lightweight aluminum frame so the kids can balance better
- Included training wheels for practicing cycling
- Smaller wheels suit tiny riders better
- Coaster brakes included for easy stopping
- It needs a bit of tuning before riding.
The Raleigh Bikes Jazzi Kids Bike is the one to go for if you want to have a starter bike for your small kids. This bike is small and lightweight, so even the little ones will not have any difficulty in cycling with it.
The bright-color aluminum frame weighs like feathers, the kids can support this lightweight bike with their feet on the ground perfectly, and when riding, the training wheels will help with the balance. The training wheels are detachable, so you can take them off when the kids have already learned bike riding.
However, the parts and components are a bit too hard and tightly screwed, so if you want to have this bike running smoothly, you will need to loosen up here and there. It would help to make it easier to pedal and control the handlebar for the small kids.
|Dimensions||28.4 x 15.5 x 8.1 inches|
- Pedals Included
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- 12 Inch Wheels
- Removable Training Wheels
Best With Coaster Brakes: Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Girls)
- Simple design good for small kids learning cycling
- Cute and colorful streamers to add fun to the ride
- Good rear coaster brakes to stop the bike at once
- Lightweight yet sturdy steel frame suitable for weak children
- All children may not like feminine looks.
In case your kids like something more colorful and special, you can choose this Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Girls). Design with long pom-pom streamers is surely the most eye-catching kid bike I have ever purchased.
The straight handlebar and the lightweight frame are good for beginners since it is simpler and easier to get on, balance, and ride the bike with such basic construction. Moreover, the rear brake is a coaster one, so you can stop the bike by reverse pedaling – no hard work.
- Rear Coaster Brake
- Colorful Streamers
- Padded Handlebar
- Adjustable Seat Post
Best For 10 Year Old Boy: Razor BMX/Freestyle Bike
- Good front and rear brakes to stop the bike efficiently
- The steel frame is nimble and durable, suitable for small kids
- BMX bike type for a wider range of riding style
- Unisex models can be used by both girls and boys
- No coaster brake to stop the bike
Another model in the affordable price range with good performance is this Razor BMX/Freestyle Bike. This one is designed as a BMX bike but with more deliberate features to suit different cycling styles. This one can be used by both boys and girls, though I doubt the boys will like this more.
This bike has a good frame with high-quality steel that will not be damaged easily. Moreover, it included both front and rear caliper brakes to stop the bike with one simple grip.
- Strong High Tensil Steel Frame And Fork
- Front Wheel Pegs
- 4 Bolt Stem
- Front & Rear Hand Brakes
- Quick Release Seat Post Clamp
Hiland 20” BMX Freestyle Bike
- Double-U brake for better bike stopping
- Well-designed construction suitable for both girls and boys
- The handlebar is easy to control and work with
- Not suitable for short children
It has such a strong look, but this Hiland 20” BMX Freestyle Bike is actually non-gender oriented, so everyone can ride on it. The bike geometry is simple and comforting, with the well-tuned handlebar ensuring the easiest level of controlling and riding this bike.
Made from high-quality steel, the bright orange frame can last for a long time and still not get a scratch. Furthermore, the wider tires of this bike allow the ride to be more stable and smooth, suitable for newbies in bike riding.
- 25x9T Gearing
- 360 ° Rotor
- 0.5-Inch Horizontal Top Tube
- Double U-Brakes
Pacific Kids Vortax Bike
- Affordable price with a lot of features
- Linear pull brakes for better safety when stopping
- Single-speed bike suitable for learning cycling
- Training wheels are attachable, providing extra support.
- Not the best in term of performance
The last one I want to introduce is this Pacific Kids Vortax Bike, a cheap price but has decent quality. This model has a coaster and front brakes, so you can have both ways to ensure safety. Moreover, the design is fool-proof, easy to ride, and learning cycling with.
This one is a single-speed one, so the performance may not be the most impressive, but it is stable and good for daily rides. For such a good price, you can’t possibly ask for more. It has the construction, the component, and the performance, all of the basic criteria for a good bike.
|Dimensions||35.75 x 17.87 x 7.17 inches|
- Linear Pull Brake
- 16-Inch Wheels
- Durable Steel Frame
So, how to buy a high-quality 20-inch bike? This question is not a simple one, but everyone needs to know the answer. Well, here is a few things that you should pay attention to when choosing a 20-inch bike:
The frame is the most important part of the bike. The frame should be from aluminum or steel to be sturdy and durable, and as lightweight as possible. Lighter frames make it easier to control the direction and feel better on the road.
Weight and height limit
Each model has its own weight and height limit, so you should check this first before purchasing. Typically, the height limit is around 135cm and you should be under 150 pounds to ride a 20-inch bike.
A good 20-inch bike should have a smooth and efficient brake mechanism. Either handbrake or rear brake, they should be good enough to stop your bike immediately and don’t cause any shock at all.
How much should I spend on a 20-inch wheel bike?
You should spend around 100$ to 500$ on a 20-inch wheel bike.
What is the best 20-inch bike?
The best 20-inch bike is Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Boys).
Is a 20-inch bike good for what height?
The height range for the 20-inch bike is 4’0”-4’5”.
What age is a 20-inch bike for?
The age range for the 20-inch bike is between 6 to 10 years old.
Can adults ride 20-inch bikes?
If your height is suitable for the bike, you can ride a 20-inch bike.
Can a ten years old kid ride a 20-inch bike?
Yes, he/she can ride a 20-inch bike.
Can a five-year-old ride a 20-inch bike?
Yes, a 5-year-old kid can ride a 20-inch bike.
Should I buy training wheels for 20-inch bikes?
If your kids are still learning how to ride a bike, you should buy training wheels.
My Top Pick
I have listed all of my recommendations of the top 15 best 20-inch bikes above, and all of them are of high quality. However, I still like the Dynacraft Magna Kids Bike (Boys) most. It is fast, lightweight, and reliable; it can ride on the majority of terrain at ease.
So have you found the best one for your young riders? Or are you still questioning about these 20-inch bikes? Just comment down below; I will reply and answer all your questions right away! Hope to see you next time, bye!